Project

General

Profile

Bug #7715

Not all languages are displayed correctly in 1.9.10.2 despite complete and correct languagefiles

Added by Michael Jongkamp over 4 years ago. Updated about 4 years ago.

Status:
Bug resolved
Priority:
High
Assignee:
-
Category:
Translations
Target version:
Start date:
20/05/2015
Due date:
% Done:

20%

Estimated time:
Complexity:
Normal
SCRUM pts - complexity:
?

Description

We updated our LMS instances to 1.9.10.2 and now the language dutch (and others like norwegian, romanian, etc), is not displayed correctly.

It is now mixed with English. For instance the menu bar is like this: Campus Startpagina, My courses, Personal agenda, Reporting, Sociaal netwerk, Dashboard, Administration. In Norwegian, romanian etc this is the exactly the same.

Other languages like french and spanisch are displayed correctly. We looked at the language files in the chamilo code for the Dutch language and scanned if there were missing translations but no, that wasn't the case.

We also looked at the translation tool here and updated it for Dutch but we did not have to translate the variables we now miss.

Please advice for a quick fix.


Files

Selection_005.png (59.2 KB) Selection_005.png Julio Montoya, 11/08/2015 12:07
trad4all.inc.php (354 KB) trad4all.inc.php Yannick Warnier, 31/08/2015 11:52

History

#1

Updated by Yannick Warnier over 4 years ago

Hi Michael,

Due to our long-terms projects to move to gettext and the relative inefficiency of the languages loading method, we packed all language files into one single file in translate.chamilo.org, and only use (starting with 1.10.0, not yet released) trad4all.inc.php when loading each language.

I'm not sure of the impact this has on 1.9.10.2 (presumably none), unless you have recently updated your 1.9.10.2 with an export from translate.chamilo.org... ?

#2

Updated by Michael Jongkamp over 4 years ago

They are all standard installations with the installation files on Chamilo.org
We tried to use the languagefiles of 1.9.10 but that didn't solve the problem.
We now did an export of the dutch language on translate.chamilo.org and copied the trad4all.inc.php to the standard dutch language folder. it seems that it solves this problem of the menu items. i still see a lot of untranslated variables but I asume that we have to do some work on translate.chamilo.org to solve that.

#3

Updated by Jan Derriks over 4 years ago

Caramba, it looks I have the same problem after installing 1.9.10.2 from github.
Is it wise to go for 1.10 if I want a stable translated system in august?
I Couldn't get the composer install working (is there an issue for that?)

#4

Updated by Michael Jongkamp over 4 years ago

There are wrong variable names in the languagefiles.

There are names beginning with 'lang' such as $langEnter.
This name is wrong because it has to be just $Enter.

There are dozens of variables beginning with 'lang'. If you delete 'lang' it works.

#5

Updated by Yannick Warnier over 4 years ago

This is weird, because the get_lang() function is supposed to deal equally with "lang" and without it...

#6

Updated by Yannick Warnier over 4 years ago

  • Category set to Translations
  • Status changed from New to Assigned
  • Assignee set to Yannick Warnier

I'll change that in the languages database as soon as possible then (to remove all "lang" prefixes).

Could you give me one example (so I can check the effect of my changes)?

#7

Updated by Jan Derriks over 4 years ago

I just installed chamilo on xampp, used English dusring install and as a user changed profile language to German and an example in the trad4all.inc.php that is correct is:
$SocialNetwork = "Soziales Netzwerk";
But the MyCourses has the word 'lang' in front and remains English:
$langMyCourses = "Meine Kurse";

In the english version of trad4all it says:
$MyCourses = "My cours";

In French it correctly says "Mes Courses" and the line in trad4all is:
$MyCourses = "Mes cours";

#8

Updated by Yannick Warnier about 4 years ago

  • Target version set to 1.10.0
#9

Updated by Yannick Warnier about 4 years ago

  • Assignee changed from Yannick Warnier to Julio Montoya

Julio, could you look into this, please? (for both 1.9.x and 1.10.x, just to make sure). The examples given should be enough to try and understand what's wrong.

#10

Updated by Julio Montoya about 4 years ago

Yannick Warnier wrote:

Julio, could you look into this, please? (for both 1.9.x and 1.10.x, just to make sure). The examples given should be enough to try and understand what's wrong.

Problem is in the "language priority" you should change the settings in order to just use the platform language:

#11

Updated by Yannick Warnier about 4 years ago

Jan, Michael, can any of you confirm that you have a different language priority than what is shown in Julio's capture?

#12

Updated by Yannick Warnier about 4 years ago

  • % Done changed from 0 to 20
#13

Updated by Yannick Warnier about 4 years ago

  • Priority changed from Urgent to High

(will be closed in 5 days if no feedback is provided before then)

#14

Updated by Yannick Warnier about 4 years ago

I've tried using 1.9.10.2 in Dutch and I see the issue (without any change to languages priority).

However, when replacing main/lang/dutch/trad4all.inc.php with a more recent version (taken from 1.10.0 alpha), most things are fixed.

So this is really due to the transition of "langX" type variables to "X" type variables (dropping the "lang" part), which was a cleanup started a bit after 1.9.10.0, if I remember correctly.

To make a long story short, using the trad4all.inc.php file attached in main/lang/dutch/, I removed most of the issues.

I'm sorry for the very specific issues that have been caused by an upgrade at that point: this was a necessary evil.

At this point in time, there remains no variable in the translate.chamilo.org application that contains a "$lang" prefix

Also available in: Atom PDF