Global platform chat
Create a global chat so users that are currently online could chat with each other ..
This implies adding a new PHP chat plugin/third party
Adding global chat code. Now is working, new table need to be created and some code need revision see #3565
Some fixes in the chat so we can load the latest conversation in the screen see #3565
Updated by Yannick Warnier over 9 years ago
- Status changed from New to Assigned
- Assignee set to Julio Montoya
- Priority changed from Low to High
- Target version set to 1.9 Stable
Here is a GPL chat that would allow us to use a GMail/Facebook like chat with little implementation cost: http://anantgarg.com/2009/05/13/gmail-facebook-style-jquery-chat/ (it seems to date from the early 2009 so maybe there is another one more stable by now somewhere else, but this is a good candidate).
The double licensing issue is cleared up in the comments, where the author says it is GPL for use in GPL projects.
Because of the current move towards social learning and live communication made possible in other platforms (fb/g+/twitter), it is now essential to have one in Chamilo too.
The requirements for a new chat tool are:
- store all the conversation in a specific (optimized with fixed-length fields) table as it occurs
- store the history of each conversation as a message in the message table of the two users who chatted
- add a "chat with him/her" icon as a "mouse-over" style for all user references (this means we will have to use a common class for all references of users lists we can find - this can be useful later on as well) like <span class="pf-usr"> (minified for "platform-user")
- make an admin option (changeable by URL) to enable/disable the "One to one chat"
Together with the mentioned plugin, this could give us a big hit with our users (at least on campus.chamilo.org) for 1.9.
Updated by Julio Montoya over 9 years ago
- Status changed from Assigned to Needs more info
- Assignee deleted (
- % Done changed from 50 to 70
Julio Montoya wrote:
Right now the chartbeat is been called every time, this should not happen ...
now we need to activate the chat in order to make calls to the database every X time
Updated by Julio Montoya about 9 years ago
Yannick Warnier wrote:
Also, it looks like the default status is "online". Isn't that provoking unnecessary queries to the database? (you were saying above that now you have to "connect" to start querying...)
Where is the data stored now?
when you create a user or when a user register to the portal and you enter for the first time your user status is "offline". You need to click in the button in order to activate "the queries" the user global chat status is added as an user extra field the global chat messages are save in the chat table
Updated by Yannick Warnier about 9 years ago
- % Done changed from 60 to 80
Julio Montoya wrote:
when you create a user or when a user register to the portal and you enter for the first time your user status is "offline". You need to click in the button in order to activate "the queries" the user global chat status is added as an user extra field
OK great. Have to check the behaviour on FB to see if they use the latest status or if they always disconnect you at first when you login. Does anybody know that?
the global chat messages are save in the chat table